Middle East Armenian Portal
Home News   Forums   Articles Directory Links Downloads Photos Services Events Calendar About us  
Forums > UAE Armenians: Legislative Council (Temagan)

UAE Armenians: Legislative Council (Temagan)
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The most recent Legislative Council (Temagan) Elections in the United Arab Emirates took place in February 2007, in two locations: Sharjah and Abu Dhabi.

The aim of this forum is to raise the awareness about the Elections, because we consider that conducting fair elections is the true cornerstone of any democratic society.

See other topics at: Azad-Hye Forums

Post your opinion here. We will send your posting to all the members of Azad-Hye and invite them to place their comments in return.

Comment 4

I am from Kuwait and I am so sorry to say that we are suffering from the same problems that you suffering over there.

Ignorance is eating us and there is no solution for this epidemic. Our community in Kuwait is governed by a group of people who know nothing about our history, our past and do nothing about the future.

Posted by: arekag   on Saturday, January 03, 2009

Comment 3

Why the 20th anniversary of the devastating earthquake of Armenia was not marked in the UAE?

where are the Azkayin Vartchoutyoun (AV) and Temagans? What are they doing? What is happening in this community? How they can miss this important date? Are they only made to show off at the barahanteses? where are we heading at?

At the latest telethone for helping Armenia, all the communities of the world participated with sometimes larger or symbolic donations. Zero from our side. The symbolic a dollar a day would have been enough!!

Why there is a very visible ignorance against Armenia? Why very important dates are not marked?

Are members of AV and Temagan Armenians or not? Why this ignorance? where are we heading at?

People want to know both from AV and Temagans, as leaders, what are their plans or what are they doing with the daily Armenian school project, organizing the youth, keeping our children Armenian, promoting Armenia and Armenians, helping Armenia?

Even on the church side, is 10 people attendance of church services ok? where are the cultural events?

We do not need events organized only for the sake of doing something, with no purpose!

If there are no answers to people's questions and worries, it means that we have elected the wrong people as leaders, which very clearly means that both Azkayin Vartchoutyoun and Temagan should immediatly resign and new elections be held!

The above was originally posted as comment after this article.

Posted by: Sevag   on Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Comment 2

Panos, having only lived in the UAE for more than a year and having read your article above, my fears have been confirmed that the internal divisions in the Armenian community are not only in the UK or any other part of the world but also in UAE.

I am not exactly sure as to what is causing this division within the community  nor do I know what issues the Armenian community of UAE faces today and what is being done to resolve those issues. If anyone can point me towards a right direction to get some unbiased information i.e. from an individual, organization which really represents the interests of the Armenian community in this region, I would greatly appreciate that. So far, me and those around are not fully aware of the root causes of, as you have rightly mentioned, polarization and disintegration. All I have heard so far is rumors, accusations and people blaming each other for certain things – it’s to stop all the bickering and move on, try to work together with a positive attitude - which shouldn’t be difficult for a community of our size.

Further to your article, I want to applaud the action (resignation) you took in 2002 for the sake of preserving the unity of the community. That takes courage and courtesy, an action which not many of us Armenians would be prepared to take. And this is evident in Armenia, where political parties are build around the wealth and political/business influence of certain individuals rather than true, democratically unified parties working towards a certain national goal. I think it’s about time that everyone should realize that the strength of a nation or a community is in its unity and success can only be achieved when people are working together as a TEAM, diplomatically and logically, respecting each other views, whilst taking the positives and disagreeing with each other though constructive criticism -  rather than hot temper. If anyone is currently watching the Armenian Parliamentary Elections they would understand what you mean by ‘Most of us run after own ambitions and pride, the well being of our society is our least interest.’’

The role of the Council and those elected, is to represent the interest and expectations of the electorate and they have the responsibility to deliver and exceed those expectations. Now, if that delivery has not been met during the past 4 years, if there was a failure in basic moral obligations and responsibilities, should those individuals really have a place in the council again? Should those individuals that have gained the trust of the community but put their own political ambitions before the interests of the community, be spending another unnecessary 4 years in the Council? Those elected must be held accountable and answerable to the community.

Talking to the community (i.e. talking to each other) and giving opportunity for people to speak and address their views, listening to what we have to say, our needs and issues of our community, working effectively with all the stakeholders (various political parties, organizations or individuals) to address the communal requirements, whilst keeping the community well informed of actions and deliverables, is what this community needs. The winners of this would not only be   one party, organization, or certain individuals, but the whole community will be better off.

Changes are needed and what is required is a new attitude, new way of thinking, approaching issues (no matter how controversial they might be) in a new light and as Panos suggested ‘change in blood’ is needed which can successfully combine the views and mentality of young generation and the experience, intelligence, expertise of the old.

We should elect leaders not on the promises they make, but on what they can deliver (how and when) and achieve for the community.

Our leaders should speak with one voice – the voice of community, the voice of unity.

Socrat Arakelyan

skelyan@yahoo.co.uk

Posted by: Socrat Arakelyan   on Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Comment 1

As a member of the Armenian community in Abu Dhabi I actively participated in the 3 previous "Temagan" elections. I voted in 1995 elections and was a member of the Electoral Committee in Year 1999 and a "Temagan" candidate in year 2002. Now I'm the elected Chairman by the Electoral Committee in Abu Dhabi for the forthcoming elections in February 2007.

Accordingly, I would like to shed some of my thoughts and observations in general from my past experiences:

1- I personally consider the period 2002-2006 the dark era in our community life. There was a complete polarization and disintegration within our community; at least I can talk about Abu Dhabi. I'm not writing this because I have a sour grape of not being elected as a "Temagan" in year 2002 by virtue of one (1) non-legitimate vote, the famous controversial story at the time, and had to resign in order to safeguard the well being of our community life and maintain unity. The end result was that we had a "Temagan Joghov" in Kuwait and the Arabian Gulf, which I personally believe was neither coherent and nor efficient in taking decisions. I felt lack of responsibilities and non-adherence towards the basic moral obligations, as set in the constitutional law (Ganonakir), which were not complied with by the elected members of the Executive Council. This four-year period has gone like a wind…. Now who to blame, this is the difficult question, as everyone knows that in our Armenian culture (after all we decent from Arians and have Arian blood) we are hot tempered and randomly accept fault or responsibility. We are very good in blaming each other and end result we are the sufferers… We hardly can listen to each other and respect each other’s point of view or opinion. Most of us run after own ambitions and pride, the well being of our society is our least interest.

2- Now as for issues related to pre-election date (January and February 2007) we should be very proactive, firstly by paying our accumulated “Azkayeen Dourk”, prepare ourselves mentally for the elections. The Executive Councils have a big role in this. They should prepare the platform for “healthy” elections. These elections should be performed in a very transparent and democratic manner away from interventions from outside parties, which created confusion and chaos in the past. All of us are responsible in these elections; we should participate and elect the candidates whom we think that they can lead our communities to prosper and can unify the disintegration. I believe there should be a change of blood. We have enjoyed enough the pros and cons of the previous figures, IT’S THE TIME FOR A REAL CHANGE and we should work towards achieving that goal.

3- As for the post period of the elections, we should be optimist, I personally believe that there are really good elements in our communities that can contribute positively. Unfortunately most of them are dormant but can definitely participate in making this real change. I am sure that they will raise their voice this time, as we cannot tolerate this sad episode to continue for another four (4) years.

These are my sincere thoughts and I really encourage others to participate but bearing in mind that we need to be positive in our criticism. With only positive criticism we can learn from our previous mistakes and repair the damage.

With warm regards,

Panos Balian

Abu Dhabi

Որպէս անդամ Ապու Տապիի հայ գաղութին, աշխոյժ մասնակցութիւն ցուցաբերած եմ նախորդող երեք ընտրութիւններուն ընթացքին։ Այսպէս՝ 1994-ին քուէարկողներու շարքերուն մէջ գտնուած եմ, 1999-ին Ընտրողական Յանձնախումբին մաս կազմած եմ, իսկ 2002-ին ներկայացած եմ որպէս թեկնածու։ Ներկայիս Ապու Տապիի Ընտրողական Յանձնախումբին ատենապետութիւնը կը վարեմ՝ Փետրուարին կայանալիք ընտրութիւններուն նախօրեակին։

Այս բոլորէն մեկնած, պիտի փափաքէի ակնարկ մը նետել անցեալի փորձառութիւններէն բխած մտածումներուն եւ նկատողութիւններուն վրայ։

1) Անձնապէս 2002-2006 տարիները մութ ժամանակաշրջան մը կը նկատեմ մեր գաղութի կեանքին մէջ։ Կատարեալ միակողմանիութիւն եւ մասնատուածութիւն կը տիրէր՝ նուազագոյնը այդպէս կրնամ բնորոշել Ապու Տապիի վիճակը։ Այս տողերը չեմ արձանագրեր պարզապէս որովհետեւ դառնութիւն կայ մէջս 2002–ին թեմական ընտրուած չըլլալուն համար՝ անվաւեր քուէի մը պատճառաւ (միջադէպ մը որ լաւապէս յայտնի է) եւ որուն որպէս հետեւանք ստիպուած էի քաշուիլ հրապարակէն՝ պահպանելու համար գաղութին համերաշխութիւնը, միութիւնը եւ ներդաշնակութիւնը։ Արդիւնքը՝ ունեցանք Քուէյթի եւ Արաբական Ծոցի երկիրներուն մէջ այնպիսի թեմական մարմին, որ իմ կարծիքով, չյաջողեցաւ միակամ եւ ազդեցիկ ըլլալ իր որոշումներուն մէջ։ Զգալի էր մանաւանդ պատասխանատուութեան զգացումին պակասը եւ Կանոնագրութեան մէջ յիշուած հիմնական բարոյական պարտաւորութիւններուն նկատմամբ անհոգութիւնը, բան մը որ դրսեւորուեցաւ նաեւ գործող Ազգային Վարչութեան կողմէ։ Այս չորս տարիները ուրեմն քամիին յանձնուած էին  Իսկ այսօր որո՞ւ մեղադրել, դժուար հարց մը, որովհետեւ ինչպէս գիտենք, մեր մշակոյթին մէջ (վերջապէս մենք կը սեռինք արիական կոչուող ցեղէն) մենք եղած ենք տաքարիւն եւ շուտ բռնկող ազգ եւ շատ հազուագիւտ պարագայի ընդունած ենք մեր սխալները եւ թերութիւնները։ Գերազանց ատակ ենք զիրար մեղադրելուն մէջ՝ յետագային տառապած ենք սակայն մեր արարքներուն պատճառով։ Հազիւ թէ կ՛ունկնդրենք մեր դիմացինը կամ կը յարգենք անոր տեսակէտը ու մտածումը։ Մեր մեծամասնութիւնը հետամուտ է փառք եւ սնապարծութիւն կերտելու՝ գաղութին բարրօրութիւնը անտեսելով։

2) Ինչ կը վերաբերի նախընտրական ժամանակաշրջանին (Յունուար եւ Փետրուար), պէտք է գործնական մօտեցում ցուցաբերենք, նախ փակելով կուտակուած "Ազգային Տուրք"ը ապա մտովի պատրաստուելով յառաջիկայ ընտրութիւններուն։ Այստեղ մեծ դերակատարութիւն վերապահուած է Ազգային Վարչութիւններուն։ Անոնք պէտք է "առողջ" ընտրութիւններու ենթահող պատրաստեն։ Սոյն ընտրութիւնները պէտք է իրականանան թափանցիկ եւ ժողովրդավար մթնոլորտի մէջ՝ հեռու արտագին ամէն տեսակի միջամտութիւններէ, պարագայ մը որ անցեալին իրարանցում եւ խառնաշփոթութիւն յառաջացուցած էր։ Մենք բոլորս պատասխանատու ենք ընտրութիւններուն նկատմամբ։ Պէտք է մասնակցինք եւ ընտրենք այն թեկնածուները, որոնք կը խորհինք պիտի կարենան առաջնորդել մեր գաղութները դէպի բարրօրութիւն, յաջողելով վերջ տալ մասնատուածութիւններուն։ Համոզուած եմ թէ նոր արիւն պէտք է մուտք գործէ մեր իրականութեան մէջ. Բաւական ենթարկուեցանք անցեալի դէմքերուն լաւ եւ վատ կողմերուն։ ԺԱՄԱՆԱԿՆ Է ԻՍԿԱԿԱՆ ՓՈՓՈԽՈՒԹԵԱՆ. Պէտք է աշխատանք տանինք այդ նպատակին հասնելու։

3) Ինչ կը վերաբերի քուէարկութիւններուն յաջորդող ժամանակաշրջանին, պէտք է լաւատես ըլլանք եւ հաւատանք թէ մեր գաղութին մէջ կրնան գտնուիլ իսկապէս լաւ տարրեր, որոնք կրնան դրական ներդրում ունենալ։ Դժբախտաբար այդպիսի անձերուն մեծ մասը թմբիրի մէջ էին նախորդող տարիներուն, բայց պէտք է սթափին այլեւս եւ իսկական մասնակցութիւն ցուցաբերեն՝ ձեռք ձգելու համար սպասւած փոփոխութիւնները։ Վստահ եմ թէ անոնք այս անգամ պիտի բարձրացնեն իրենց ձայնը, քանի որ այլեւս անհանդուրժելի դարձած է այս տխուր հանգրուանին երկարաձգումը չորս այլ տարիներ։

Ասոնք են իմ անկեղծ մտածումները այս կապակցութեամբ։ Սրտանց կը քաջալերեմ բոլոր մասնակիցները, պայմանաւ որ դրական ըլլան իրենց քննադատութիւներուն մէջ։ Արդարեւ, միմիայն դրական քննադատութեամբ է որ կրնանք դաս քաղել մեր սխալներէն եւ հատուցել անցեալի վնասները։

Ջերմ մաղթանքներով՝

Փանոս Պալեան

Ապու Տապի 

Posted by: Panos Balian   on Thursday, January 11, 2007

Leave a comment
Name (required)
Email (will not be published) (required)
Website
Security Code Image   (Enter the code)

Bookmark and Share

Announcements
Azad-Hye Diary
UAE Armenians

Home · News · Forums · Articles · Directory · Links · Downloads · Photos · Services · Diary · Events Calendar · About Us

Copyright © Azad-Hye, 2003-2009. All Rights Reserved.